Water: Drink the Right Amount to Improve Your Overall Health!Posted by cbrooks on Mar 15, 2018 in Health Blog | 0 comments
Incorporate This Simple Tip Into Your Daily Life to Improve Your Overall Health!
Water is important to our overall health and well-being. One of the simplest, yet effective ways to achieve better health is to drink the right amount of this beverage daily. Additionally, it is an essential nutrient, and we just can’t function without it. Did you know that our bodies and brains are approximately 60 percent water, and the water we use daily must be replaced daily?
According to a special report from Harvard Medical School water has many important jobs, such as:
1. carrying nutrients and oxygen to your cells
2. flushing bacteria from your bladder
3. aiding digestion
4. preventing constipation
5. normalizing blood pressure
6. stabilizing the heartbeat
7. cushioning joints
8. protecting organs and tissues
9. regulating body temperature
10. maintaining electrolyte (sodium) balance.
Giving your body enough fluids to carry out those tasks means that you’re staying hydrated.
So, What’s the Right Amount of Water to Drink?
The right amount to drink depends on several factors including weight, exercise, medication and is very individual. I follow this guideline by Dr. Sears, founder of the Dr. Sears Wellness Institute. Generally (healthy) adults need about a half an ounce of fluid for every pound of body weight per day. For instance, if you weigh 140 pounds, you should drink 70 ounces of fluids. An easy way to remember is to drink half of your body weight in ounces of water per day. You can use this as a guideline and adjust it as needed. For example, if you are physically active, take medications, or live in a warm climate perhaps your intake should be greater than what is recommended above.
Can You Drink Too Much Water?
The simple answer is yes. However, you would have to drink a lot of this fluid to accomplish that. Although, for those individuals who have certain health conditions or take medications that restrict fluid intake, it is possible. Therefore, you should definitely check with your doctor for guidance on this subject.
How Do You Know If You are Drinking the Right Amount of Water?
One simple and reliable way is to check your urine. If it is clear to light yellow, then you are probably drinking the right amount of water. However, if it is dark yellow or brown, and has an odor, you are not drinking the right amount of water.
Can We Get Our Daily Fluid Intake from Other Beverages and Foods?
Yes! It is estimated that 80% of our daily total fluid intake is from drinking water and other beverages, plus the other 20% comes from the foods that we eat.
While you my be able to fulfill your daily total intake of fluids by also drinking beverages other than water and eating foods that have a high water content, my tip is for you to drink an adequate amount of plain water. It benefits your body in numerous, amazing ways, thus improves your overall health.
The Bottom Line!
Remember, everybody’s body and lifestyles are different, there is no “one size fits all” when it comes to exactly how much water you should consume daily. You are the expert when it comes to the right amount for you individual needs. If you know that you are not getting enough, make a conscious effort to start drinking more. Your body and brain will thank you!
If you would like to receive more tips and tools to improve your health, please subscribe to my FREE wellness newsletter Assured Wellness.
Thanks for visiting! Please come again!
Your partner in health and wellness,